Job Title: Developer
GBP 15,000 (GBP 30,000 Pro Rata) + Training + Pension + Holiday
Job duration: 6 Months fixed term (In the first instance)
This is an opportunity to join a growing research, design and technology partnership focused on relevant, interesting and demanding project work across a number of fields. You will be joining as we build upon our research and client work to design and build innovative new tech research in fields as diverse as Law, Health and Contemporary Art.
This is a full-time role with significant opportunities for personal development and possibly to create a place for yourself in a multi-disciplinary team in a collegiate culture based on shared values, including a focus upon meaningful projects and creative problem solving. You will probably be someone motivated by the opportunity to undertake innovative work in multidisciplinary context – we really are a team. Your first task will be to help deliver a challenging project to increase and enable access to justice in the UK.
- 14 days holiday (incl. Bank holidays)
- Training and support with relevant skills developments
- Company issued laptop
Etic Lab is a Research and Development consultancy with a track record of problem solving consultancy working with clients such as Universities, Charities, Financial services and Legal sector actors. The partners’ (and associates’) skillsets include a strong core of developer skills, applied psychology, communications, design, art as well as mathematics and computer science in our backgrounds. This is a very experienced and highly qualified team but we now need to grow and want to take this opportunity to diversify.
We design and conduct research on behalf of clients in the academic and corporate sectors prototyping and developing custom applications to demonstrate and understand the potential of emerging technologies. Now we are taking the next step and developing products for our own use.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our consultancy, research and development projects and are motivated by the chance to see our work in use and making a difference. We have consistently found ourselves at the leading edge of new developments in areas such as the application of data technologies, artificial intelligence and automation. This is evidenced by our roster of clients, professional and work publications and now a number of new product development projects.
For more information see: eticlab.co.uk
Or contact us at: email@example.com
We are looking for a developer to start work immediately on a project to develop a suite of secure, integrated communications tools for the UK access to justice justice sector. You will be taking a key role in our talented team to deliver a specification that has been designed as one output from an ongoing Innovate UK funded research project examining the feasibility of applying digital technologies within the justice system. This new project would enhance the capacity of the access to justice sector to carry out its social mission in the years to come — a public good with benefits extending across the legal system and throughout society. Especially as the entire sector is being severely impacted by the COVID-19 crisis and the need for our product is becoming more urgent. This project is an investment in the UK’s ongoing ability to support a fair, open and accessible justice system.
The successful candidate will be working alongside senior partners to deliver the Secure Integrated Communications Suite (SICS); a single page web application providing video, audio and text chat along with secure document transfer and appointment booking, enabling organisations within the access to justice sector to deliver a secure and accessible service to end users with due consideration to the privacy and data ownership concerns of clients.
Etic Lab maintains offices in Mid-Wales (our HQ) and Milton Keynes, however, we are willing to engage with the ideal candidate on remote working for this initial project due to the circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and the ongoing restrictions in the UK. We have invested quickly in software and hardware to enhance our remote working and have been operating remotely since March.
Etic Lab is a growing company and have programmes in place to encourage our employees to work towards membership and even co-ownership of the company through associate and full partnership schemes. While we are initially recruiting to a specific project we have previously been able to develop long term relationships where the company and candidate found a successful match and integration into the core team took place.
We recognise that candidates may not be equally strong across all areas of the job specification, and when selecting will take into account an interest in and a willingness and capacity to learn about what we do and how we do it. We do not wish to exclude an experienced engineer who just wants to get the job done, we understand that, but if you want more from your professional life – this is the place to find it.
- Based in UK
- Minimum 2 years experience with similar size / type of company
- Experience building user-facing web applications
- Experienced in designing and maintaining MySQL databases (and motivated to keep queries optimized)
- Experience turning ideas and mockups into well-executed code
- Experience with continuous deployment
- Understand and proactively prevent common application security flaws
- Track record of deploying web applications at scale with easily maintainable code
- Comfortable in a Linux environment and with Git and SSH
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Prepared to ask questions to discuss/understand a problem before writing any code
- Well organisational personally, self-motivated and keen to deliver
- Advanced understanding of HTML and CSS preferably with frameworks like Bootstrap 4 or Gov.uk Design System
- Experience building SPAs using Vuex, Vue Router
- Extensive PHP experience with a framework (Laravel, Symfony, etc.)
- Experience building, maintaining, testing and documenting APIs to be used by other developers both internally and externally
- Experience with Twilio APIs or WebRTC
- Experience with other data stores like ElasticSearch, MongoDB or similar
- Experience using cloud computing platforms (Digital Ocean etc.)
- Any experience / knowledge setting up CI pipelines, docker, docker-compose, kubernetes would be advantageous
How to apply
Please send a copy of your CV along with a cover letter and any relevant portfolio work you wish to submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will email you with receipt of your application within 48 hours.
Etic Lab LLP wishes to inform all applicants that we can only accept applications from candidates who have a valid legal permit or right to work in the United Kingdom. Potential candidates who do not have this right or permit, or are pending an application to obtain this right or permit should not apply as your details will not be processed.
Applications close Friday, 21st August 2020